The Hammersmith and Fulham GP Federation are working together with the Clinical Research Network (CRN), and The National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) to conduct studies/research within Hammersmith and Fulham GP practices. The NIHR fund health care research and translate discoveries into practical products, treatments, devices and procedures, involving patients and the public in all our work.
To improve the health and wealth of the nation through research.
To provide a health research system in which the NHS supports outstanding individuals working in world-class facilities, conducting leading-edge research focused on the needs of patients and the public.
- Establish the NHS as an internationally recognised centre of research excellence
- Attract, develop and retain the best research professionals to conduct people-based research
- Commission research focused on improving health and social care
- Strengthen and streamline systems for research management and governance
- Increase the opportunities for patients and the public to participate in, and benefit from, research
- Promote and protect the interests of patients and the public in health research
- Drive faster translation of scientific discoveries into tangible benefits for patients
- Maximise the research potential of the NHS to contribute to the economic growth of the country through the life sciences industry
- At as sound custodians of public money for the public good
Research programme aims to have an impact on the health and wellbeing of patients and users of the NHS and social care.
For some research studies there are clear outcomes which will benefit patients, often demonstrated by clinical trials which may show a particular intervention is more effective than current treatment options. Ideally this leads to a roll out in the NHS for a wider patient benefit and informs guidelines to influence future practice.
The pathway to patient benefit is not always as straightforward or immediate, and the programme funds a broad range of research which ultimately leads to patient benefit, be it directly or indirectly.